Amanda-Users

Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den

2009-10-02 21:03:46
Subject: Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 20:48:06 -0400
On Friday 02 October 2009, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 16:32:57 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Humm, from /etc/passwd:
>>
>> amanda:x:1001:6:...:/var/lib/amanda:/bin/bash
>> backup:x:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/bin/sh
>
>On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 21:46:37 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> So you don't even have a user amanda, nor a /home/amanda directory...
>
>On a stock Debian/Ubuntu installation, UID 1001 is the first in the
>"user accounts" range, which would indicate that you created that
>'amanda' account "manually" at some point....

I did, trying to make it work like the tarball install on this machine has
worked for much of a decade now.

>On the other hand, 'backup' is a standard user that's part of all Debian
>installs; the Amanda packages use it, but so do some other parts of the
>system even if Amanda is not installed.  (In other words, the Amanda
>packages are simply piggybacking on an already-existing system user.)

The /home/backup directory was empty until I put an .amandahosts file there,
which also didn't work.  Since there was nothing else in it, and passwd says
backup's default dir is /var/backups, I just nuked the whole thing.  If
something squawks because it needs it, its not that hard to re-create it.

Thanks Nathan.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Absurdity, n.:
        A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.