Amanda-Users

Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den

2009-10-01 12:30:01
Subject: Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 12:20:14 -0400
On Thursday 01 October 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>So what failed when you ran the backup with your regular
>configuration?  Amanda shouldn't have any problem with this --
>usernames on the client are, more or less, isolated from usernames on
>the server.  The only interaction is in .amandahosts, which must list
>the server-side username.
>
>Dustin

Humm, so I edit Shop:/home/amanda/.amandahosts to look like this:
---------------------
coyote.coyote.den       amanda amdump amindexd amidxtaped
coyote                  amanda amdump amindexd amidxtaped
coyote.coyote.den       root amdump amindexd amidxtaped
shop.coyote.den         backup amdump amindexd amidxtaped
shop                    backup amdump amindexd amidxtaped
shop.coyote.den         backup amdump amindexd amidxtaped
localhost               backup amdump amindexd amidxtaped
-------------------------------
There are probably unneeded lines above, but I was trying to cover all bases.
An amcheck Daily from here on coyote, generates an error message in
shop/var/log/amanda/amandad complaining it can't open its debug files in
/tmp.  Aha!  They were still owned by amanda:disk, so a quick chown to
backup:backup and an 'su amanda -c "amcheck Daily"' on coyote is happy.

Funny thing though, after all my messing around yesterday, backup.sh wasn't
run last night.  I don't think, no printout, no email.

Running it again, and during the estimate phase I actually saw the user
backup in the htop report.  But I got a printout in just a few seconds that
it did backup the 4 dle's on  shop, but never touched coyote???

WTH?  my /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/disklist is an exact copy of the test
disklist in /usr/local/etc/amanda/Shop/disklist!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other words, my Daily/disklist is gone, all 29 entries.  And I only edited
one disklist file when setting up the Shop test config.  Aha, for some reason
I'd made a disklist-bak, and its a good one, so I now have a big grin and
will re-run the backup again.

An amstatus says the estimates are coming in good, so I think its running on
all 8 cylinders again.

Many many thanks for the hint, but it was confusing that it was the
Shop:/home/amanda/.amandahosts file I fixed, and not the
Shop:/home/backup/.amandahosts.

And that leaves my mind quite well confused about just who the heck owns what
here.  And I don't think this is something I can blame on alzheimers even if
I will be 75 on Sunday.

This bit of cross-correlation should be FAQ'd better, or a manpage on
amandahosts written that covers all this.  I note that manpage is
conspiciously absent.

And this takes us back to amcheckdump & the fact I can't run it from a script
anymore because it needs either a changer to pull up the correct (v)tape to
check, or a switch to shut it off.  In my case Dailys/data is going to
already be pointing at the correct vtape, so it has it.  Either that or re-
instate the ability to take a pair of numbers as arg(2) and arg(3) that give
it the tape number to start on, and how many tapes to go over in case
runtapes >1.  That is the old amverify syntax AIR.

Thanks Dustin, I owe you one if you ever get in my neck of the hills.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so raisiny ...