Amanda-Users

Re: Fw: RPM files for openSUSE 11.1

2009-01-18 12:30:33
Subject: Re: Fw: RPM files for openSUSE 11.1
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Charles Stroom <charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:21:35 -0500
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Charles Stroom
<charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl> wrote:
> after adaptation of the configuration files, I have, at this very
> moment, my first amdump running on 11.1.  I noticed a small point (but
> I am not even sure this is a point!), that the xinetd entry
> of /usr/libexec/amanda/amandad is not enabled by default.

I think that the idea is not to open ports via xinetd unless the
relevant authentication mechanisms are in use.  That is, enabling the
xinetd entries is a post-install configuration operation.

> Two other entries are in the xinetd list, as maintained by yast2:
> /usr/lib/amanda/amindexd and /usr/lib/amanda/amidxtaped, but these are
> not installed, at least not in the /usr/lib/amanda directory. These 2
> programs are in /usr/libexec/amanda.  They aer not enabled, so I guess
> retrieval from tape will create problems(?)

Those services are no longer used - all bsd* communication takes place
via the amandad daemon.

> Another small point is that amstatus gives an error:
> "
> fiume:~> amstatus  daily_11.1
> Using /var/log/amanda/daily_11.1/amdump
> From Sun Jan 18 17:01:02 CET 2009
>
> Insecure dependency in printf while running with -T switch
> at /usr/sbin/amstatus line 1016.
> "
> I will let you know if amdump terminates normally and if there are any
> additional problems.

Sounds good.  That particular error is just due to overzealous
application of perl's taint checking, and is nothing to worry about.
You can remove the -T on line one (leave the -w).

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com