Amanda-Users

Re: barcodes?

2008-12-04 00:35:51
Subject: Re: barcodes?
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Jeffrey D Anderson" <JDAnderson AT lbl DOT gov>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 00:31:42 -0500
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
wrote:
>  57  * 1) If there is a barcode reader, and we have a recyclable tape, use the
>  58  *    reader to load the oldest tape.

Ah, the key here is that "recyclable" means a tape which has been
previously written to, is reusable, and which not among the $tapecycle
most recently-written tapes.  Surprisingly, the term does not include
tapes that are labeled but not yet used, nor (more obviously)
unlabeled tapes.  In my testing, I just 'amlabeled' a few tapes and
then ran the taperscan algorithm, and it didn't search for them.  Then
I sent the previous email.  After doing a dump to those tapes, the
algorithm correctly searched for them.  Egg on my face :)

I'm curious as to what you're seeing, Jeffrey.  Can you position your
changer at some incorrect location and then run "amtape $config taper"
and send along the results and the amtape debug log?  If anyone else
is seeing the taperscan algorithm scan when it should be searching,
please do the same.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer