Amanda-Users

Re: barcodes?

2008-12-03 18:14:27
Subject: Re: barcodes?
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 16:09:21 -0700

--On December 3, 2008 4:14:12 PM -0500 Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu> wrote:

Is this behavior the same across all Amanda code? Or might amrecover
behave differently from amdump? I'm not sure why I would have thought it
cycled through the tapes looking at the labels unless amrecover were
perhaps different. I've developed the habit of using the front panel on
the library to load the tape that amrecover will be expecting before
starting it up.

For restores we use amtape label <BLAH> for backups I wrote a script that sorts out the next N tapes that amanda will need fromt he library. This is because when I started using amanda, amdump and esp. amcheck did not really do anything with the barcodes, they'd just call amtape next until they read the right label off the tape. With 50+ tapes in a library that tapes all night. :)

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler