Amanda-Users

Re: barcodes?

2008-12-03 01:28:33
Subject: Re: barcodes?
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Nicholas Brockner" <nbrockne AT hamilton DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 01:23:33 -0500
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Nicholas Brockner <nbrockne AT hamilton DOT
edu> wrote:
> I am just wondering if there was a real use for the barcodes, i.e. setting
> up amanda so that during an amcheck run it doesn't have to load and read the
> amlabels of tapes, maybe it can just read the barcodes and trust them?

amcheck isn't really in the business of "trusting" things, so I'm not
sure I'd like that.  Amanda does use the barcodes to load a tape
directly, rather than cycling through the changer until it finds the
desired tape.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer