Amanda-Users

Re: Release of Amanda-2.6.1b1

2008-12-03 01:17:01
Subject: Re: Release of Amanda-2.6.1b1
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 01:10:59 -0500
wrote:
>> Comment:  The presence of a .tmp file in the holding disk when amdump is
>> started is prima-faci evidence of a crashed dump or a machine reset.  It
>> is not in the database, so if found at the startup, it should just be
>> deleted, it is of zero value anyway.
>
>Gene, thanks so much for testing!
>
>I'll see what I can do about the crash.

The crash wasn't amanda!  It was mtools, which apparently have no timeouts
when a floppy access dead ends in the manure pile.  Locked up the whole
machine, totally.

So don't go beating on amanda because the old girl misbehaved.  Just make her
to the housekeeping needed to clean up the mess is all I'm requesting.

>On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Bruce Thompson <drllama AT otherother DOT com>
wrote:
>> What are the requirements [for Platform Experts]?
>
>Basically, be willing to install beta versions of Amanda (not in
>production) and run them through their paces, and work out any kinks
>along the way.  In detail, this means building from source, possibly
>after applying a patch or two, running the installchecks, and then
>running some test dumps and recoveries.
>
>For platforms we-the-developers are less familiar with, some
>platform-specific wisdom is also helpful.  For example, Scott Bender
>helped test the last release on HP/UX, and his experience with
>building other applications on that platform was invaluable.  Such
>experts are also the people I look to for help when someone posts
>platform-specific questions to the list.
>
>Dustin

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You are the only person to ever get this message.