Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype_problem

2008-03-13 11:41:19
Subject: Re: amtapetype_problem
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:32:49 +0100
On 2008-03-13 14:51, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Javier Guerrero <warriormacho AT gmail DOT
com> wrote:
 My version of amanda is "amanda-backup_server-2.5.2p1-1.sles9.i586.rpm" , how
 i could see if this patch is in my installation of amanda?
 I've tried to find with "locate" command any file similar to tapetype.c, I
 suppose that I  would have to download a source version, but, which are the
 steps to apply the patch later?

You're correct -- you would need to recompile from source to apply the
patch.  However, the patch is only for amtapetype, which is only
responsible for determining the tapetype you would use in your
amanda.conf.  If other folks on the list have a working tapetype
declaration for your drive (HP Ultrium LTO1(100/200 GB)), then you may
be able to skip using amtapetype altogether.

If that doesn't work, I can build a patched version of that utility
and send it to you by email.

Dustin

(Helpful as always, Dustin!)

But I think the problem is deeper:  if it is indeed that on this machine rewind
flags success too early, or that subsequent requests do not block until the
rewind is completely finished, then I believe amlabel will have the same
problem:
it writes the label, rewinds, and verifies if the label was written correctly.

And maybe amdump also has problems, because that one reads the tapelabel
rewinds, and writes a new tapelabel, followed by the backup images.

Especially in amdump the Design of Amanda is that the tapedrive is opened
and closed only once for the whole duration of writing to tape.  Only that
way Amanda can guaruantee that no event on the tapedrive gets unnoticed
(someone replacing the tape between the close and the next open, or
a scsi bus reset, which rewinds the tape all by itself, etc.)

As happed to this Other Software here:

  http://tinyurl.com/25caga
  http://tinyurl.com/2enysj

(makes me glad I'm using Amanda).

It would help if Javier would give some details on the OS he is using.
Does the "sles9" in his rpm name suggests Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9?
Or did just use that rpm and forced it to install on his OS?
If SLES9, is anyone else seeing that problem (easy to test with amtapetype)?
(Joseph had the problem on an Alpha system).

IMHO I think the driver is broken, not Amanda. Rewind should return only
when the tape *was* rewound...

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *