Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype_problem

2008-03-12 13:12:23
Subject: Re: amtapetype_problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:58:28 -0400
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 04:00:00PM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2008-03-12 14:56, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 01:51:05AM -0700, Javier Guerrero wrote:
> >>I have a problem to determine the type of my tape, I know that is an HP
> >>Ultrium LTO1(100/200 GB).
> >>I want to know the specific parameters to insert into amanda.conf, because
> >>the actual parametres give an error(the same error of amtapetype) when I
> >>run
> >>amdump and the backup is big enough.
> >>
> >>amandabackup@svq2:~> amtapetype -o -e 100g -f /dev/nst0
> >>Estimate phase 1...
> >>Writing 2048 Mbyte   compresseable data:  36 sec
> >>Estimate phase 2...
> >>amtapetype: could not write any data in this pass: Input/output error
> >>

> >>The content of my amanda.conf is:
> >>define tapetype HP-LTO1 {
> >>   comment ""
> >>   length 101376 mbytes
> >>   filemark 0 kbytes
> >>   speed 13872 kps
> >>}
> >>

> >First, step back from amanda.
> >
> >Can you use your tape drive without amanda.
> > mt with various cmd arguments
> > dd several GB to and from
> > tar to and from
> >

> I seem to remember there was indeed a problem on some hosts
> where rewind flagged success and finished, but the tape drive
> was actually not ready to accept new requests, resulting in IO errors
> until the tape was fully rewound.
>
> But I do not remember anymore if or how it can be solved
> (except by modifying the code and waiting longer after the rewind).

I was in that situation with a DDS3, 6 tape, tapechanger from HP.
I ran amanda's use of mt and mtx through wrappers and inserted
sleeps for various cmds (notably rewinds for up to 20 or 30 sec.)
and I put in some repeats for things like status checks that
failed the first time.

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)