Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype_problem

2008-03-13 05:50:27
Subject: Re: amtapetype_problem
From: Javier Guerrero <warriormacho AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 02:42:16 -0700 (PDT)
My version of amanda is "amanda-backup_server-2.5.2p1-1.sles9.i586.rpm" , how
i could see if this patch is in my installation of amanda?
I've tried to find with "locate" command any file similar to tapetype.c, I
suppose that I  would have to download a source version, but, which are the
steps to apply the patch later?

Thanks and regards

Jon LaBadie's Mail:
[...]

Back in May 2007 myselph wrote:

> I had a similar problem with with a DDS3 tape drive (HP-C1537A) connected
> to my alpha running (at that time) DU 4.0d.  It seemed to me that the
> drive / driver returns immediately after a rewind operation, but a
> following write on the same (kept-open) filedescriptor returns
> unsuccessfully if the rewind did not complete yet.  Amtapetype exactly
> does this.
>
> The situation was not reproducible in my setup by a sequence of shell
> commands (like ``mt rewind; tar -c ...''), as each shell command is an own
> process and opens its own filedescriptor for accessing the tape.
The problem also existed after my box having been updated to Tru64 5.1B-3.

The attached patch (relative to 2.5.2) fixed the problem for me.

In June Ian Turner contacted me for testing alternative solutions
for the rewind / timeout / IO error problem, but on Tru64 only the
open / close workaround was fully successful.

I don't know, if the workaround has been integrated in more recent
versions of amanda.

Regards

        \franz