Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype_problem

2008-03-12 11:08:54
Subject: Re: amtapetype_problem
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:00:00 +0100
On 2008-03-12 14:56, Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 01:51:05AM -0700, Javier Guerrero wrote:
I have a problem to determine the type of my tape, I know that is an HP
Ultrium LTO1(100/200 GB).
I want to know the specific parameters to insert into amanda.conf, because
the actual parametres give an error(the same error of amtapetype) when I run
amdump and the backup is big enough.

amandabackup@svq2:~> amtapetype -o -e 100g -f /dev/nst0
Estimate phase 1...
Writing 2048 Mbyte   compresseable data:  36 sec
Estimate phase 2...
amtapetype: could not write any data in this pass: Input/output error

The content of my amanda.conf is:
define tapetype HP-LTO1 {
   comment ""
   length 101376 mbytes
filemark 0 kbytes speed 13872 kps }

First, step back from amanda.

Can you use your tape drive without amanda.
 mt with various cmd arguments
 dd several GB to and from
 tar to and from

I seem to remember there was indeed a problem on some hosts
where rewind flagged success and finished, but the tape drive
was actually not ready to accept new requests, resulting in IO errors
until the tape was fully rewound.

But I do not remember anymore if or how it can be solved
(except by modifying the code and waiting longer after the rewind).

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *