Amanda-Users

Re: Running amflush to a Separate Tape

2007-12-13 15:20:07
Subject: Re: Running amflush to a Separate Tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:01:02 -0500
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 11:24:53AM -0800, Tom Herrera wrote:

> Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> >
> > One other point to check. Since Tom is coming new into an existing
> > setup, and didn't specify in his original post, it's possible those are
> > from another amanda configuration that is not being run. The names of
> > the files should indicate when and what they are from. I mean, if the
> > daily is running and writing a tape, and there are still things being
> > left on the holding disk, then Tom needs to figure out why they are
> > still there. First step is to know for sure where they came from. Then,
> > if they are from the daily that is currently being run, why were they
> > left on the holding disk?
> >

> I checked, and all the directories on the holding disk are associated with
> the one and only amanda config file on the system, named Daily.  Since I was
> not here for the bulk of the directories listed I am not sure why they were
> never flushed.
>
> Still curious if it is okay, amanda-wise, to just remove the ancient
> directories, or if I have to do something more than that.

When you run amflush it will ask which directories/dates you wish to
flush.  After you have done the one(s) you want, I think it is safe
to blow away the ones you don't want.  The logs will rotate and be
deleted on their own.  Or archive them; or if space on holding disk
is not a problem, leave them for later.

After doing the above I'd also suggest running amcleanup.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)