Amanda-Users

Re: Running amflush to a Separate Tape

2007-12-13 11:18:46
Subject: Re: Running amflush to a Separate Tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:12:01 -0500
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 07:33:25AM -0800, Tom Herrera wrote:

> I am new to both Linux and Amanda, so please be gentle. I've recently come
> over from the dark side of Windoze.
>
> I've inherited a small net from a previous sysop. He was using Amanda on two
> servers, and I would like to continue use, but I'm finding it a bit
> challenging.
>
> I've gotten as far as determining there are a large number of Amanda
> directories left on the holding disk. I would like to flush those to an
> entirely separate tape, outside of my Daily config, but am unsure how to do
> this.  I would like to flush those directories today if possible, so that I
> can move on to resolving errors on the amreport I receive (and which I will
> ask about in a separate email).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The phrase "outside of my Daily config" gives me trouble.

These files on the holding disk represent completed, but untaped,
backups of file systems and directory trees that amanda's logs
have already recorded.  If needed, they are available for restoration
whether on the holding disk or taped to a Daily config tape.  Were it
feasible to amflush to a different config you might lose this ability.

That said, if you just want it taped "in case" you want or need it,
simply tar or dd the holding disk to a blank, non-amanda tape.

My alternative recommendation, seeing as you seem to have available
tapes, is to amflush them within your Daily config.  If you don't
want to upset the current set of tapes use amlabel to add a few
newly labeled tapes to your Daily config tapelist file.  If your
current tapes go from ?Daily?-001 to ?Daily?-050, maybe do a few
in the -100 range.  Then when you amflush make sure only your
newly labeled tapes are in the drive/library.  Amanda will always
happily use a new tape.

Note, depending on the volume of data on the holding disk and
the "runtapes" parameter in your amanda.conf file it may be
necessary to make multiple runs of amflush.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)