Amanda-Users

Re: Running amflush to a Separate Tape

2007-12-13 13:00:56
Subject: Re: Running amflush to a Separate Tape
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:41:59 -0500
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 13 December 2007, Tom Herrera wrote:
I am new to both Linux and Amanda, so please be gentle. I've recently come
over from the dark side of Windoze.

I've inherited a small net from a previous sysop. He was using Amanda on two
servers, and I would like to continue use, but I'm finding it a bit
challenging.

I've gotten as far as determining there are a large number of Amanda
directories left on the holding disk. I would like to flush those to an
entirely separate tape, outside of my Daily config, but am unsure how to do
this.  I would like to flush those directories today if possible, so that I
can move on to resolving errors on the amreport I receive (and which I will
ask about in a separate email).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Generally speaking, Tom, anything that's left in the holding disk, probably due to a tape error, is still part of the database amanda keeps, so they should be flushed to the next available tape in the rotation. Otherwise you are miss-placing valuable info that amanda may need in the future.

The real question is why they were not properly flushed originally.

One other point to check. Since Tom is coming new into an existing setup, and didn't specify in his original post, it's possible those are from another amanda configuration that is not being run. The names of the files should indicate when and what they are from. I mean, if the daily is running and writing a tape, and there are still things being left on the holding disk, then Tom needs to figure out why they are still there. First step is to know for sure where they came from. Then, if they are from the daily that is currently being run, why were they left on the holding disk?

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center