Amanda-Users

Re: SCSI card recommendations?

2007-03-08 15:13:54
Subject: Re: SCSI card recommendations?
From: Alan Pearson <alandpearson AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 19:40:02 +0000

On 8 Mar 2007, at 19:12, Michael Loftis wrote:

SCSI is backwards compatible, an U320 LVD device will work on a U80 LVD controller, just at U80 LVD speeds. I'd suggest just getting a U160 or U320 controller, and make sure to get *good* SCSI cables. That's partly what bit me in the butt this last time. I ended up with an adaptec 2944, which has been pretty solid.

I'll second the cables recommendation, don't skimp on them, you'll pay big time with daft problems and errors !

On the card, I use adaptec here on Linux (U320 PCI-X) and it's never given an issue. It drives a LTO3 drive at about 65Mb a sec... nice ! I understand though that Adaptec can be very funny about their drives as Mr T. De Radlt from OpenBSD has had many arguments with them ...

---
AlanP