Amanda-Users

Detecting shoe shining with modern libraries?

2007-03-08 14:44:01
Subject: Detecting shoe shining with modern libraries?
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 12:35:54 -0700
New drives are really quiet. Not to mention some new libraries (like our Spectra T50) bury the drives in the middle of the library so you can't really hear the mechanism working like you can older libraries with louder drives. Desktop units you can still pretty readily listen to and tell when they're shoe-shining, but as far as libraries go, does anyone do anything other than just do their best to listen? That's what I've done for...well...ever but I'm beginning to wonder if there's a better way.

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler