Amanda-Users

Re: SCSI card recommendations?

2007-03-08 13:44:02
Subject: Re: SCSI card recommendations?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:32:11 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 at 12:43pm, Greg Troxel wrote

I am about to buy a couple of LTO-2 drives to replace my DDS3 drives
which are no longer big enough.  I'm looking at HP and IBM in
particular, but it seems they are all Ultra160 or Ultra320.  My
understanding is that these are all both wide and LVD, and use either
the HD 68-pin or the VHDCI connector, and that I can cable either of
these to any ultra160/ultra320 controller (and probably ultra2 wide
lvd).

Is it likely that an Adaptec 2940-U2W would work with such a drive?
It's said to be LVD, so the only issue should be topping out at 80
MB/s. The drive would be the only thing on the bus.

The rated speed of LTO2 is 40MB/s. Note, however, that I found it impossible to drive 2 LTO3 drives (80MB/s rated) over a single U320 channel, which, theoretically, should have had plenty of bandwidth. So, if it were me, I'd just get a U320 card.

Can anyone recommend a SCSI card to use with LTO-2 drives that will
 fit in a normal PCI slot
 work with NetBSD (netbsd-4 branch, preferably)

I've had good luck with LSI boards on Linux. I know nothing of the BSDs, though. LSI's single channel U320 board (cunningly named the LSIU320) is pretty affordable, IIRC.

Also, comments about media reliability would be appreciated.  It seems
the LTO concept is that everything just 100% works, but I'd be
interested to hear "stay away from Brand X tapes; they are flaky"
comments.

My library vendor recommended Fuji media (this was about a year ago), and I haven't had any issues with them.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering