Amanda-Users

Re: SCSI card recommendations?

2007-03-08 14:23:24
Subject: Re: SCSI card recommendations?
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 12:12:36 -0700

--On March 8, 2007 12:43:59 PM -0500 Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com> wrote:

I am about to buy a couple of LTO-2 drives to replace my DDS3 drives
which are no longer big enough.  I'm looking at HP and IBM in
particular, but it seems they are all Ultra160 or Ultra320.  My
understanding is that these are all both wide and LVD, and use either
the HD 68-pin or the VHDCI connector, and that I can cable either of
these to any ultra160/ultra320 controller (and probably ultra2 wide
lvd).

Is it likely that an Adaptec 2940-U2W would work with such a drive?
It's said to be LVD, so the only issue should be topping out at 80
MB/s. The drive would be the only thing on the bus.

Can anyone recommend a SCSI card to use with LTO-2 drives that will
  fit in a normal PCI slot
  work with NetBSD (netbsd-4 branch, preferably)

(I am not super cost sensitive; a $300 host adaptor that causes me zero
grief beats $100 and a few hours of trouble.)

SCSI is backwards compatible, an U320 LVD device will work on a U80 LVD controller, just at U80 LVD speeds. I'd suggest just getting a U160 or U320 controller, and make sure to get *good* SCSI cables. That's partly what bit me in the butt this last time. I ended up with an adaptec 2944, which has been pretty solid.

If anyone has comments to get or stay away from any particular LTO-2
drive, I'd like to hear them.  Hardware comments would be helpful on
the zmanda wiki, but I only saw tapetypes.

Also, comments about media reliability would be appreciated.  It seems
the LTO concept is that everything just 100% works, but I'd be
interested to hear "stay away from Brand X tapes; they are flaky"
comments.

    Thanks,
    Greg

into trouble of all kinds."