Amanda-Users

Re: amanda config problems

2006-08-03 13:09:39
Subject: Re: amanda config problems
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:08:01 -0400
On Thursday 03 August 2006 08:39, Jeff Portwine wrote:
>Actually I did read the link.   In fact I read it when I was first
>installing and configuring Amanda.    I read it again when I got your
>response.  I missed where it said "make sure you don't buld it as root".
>  I generally build everything as root, and yes, I know that I  may run
> the make as a user other than root.    I chose not to the first time..
>  After I got your response, I tried re-compiling as the "backup" user
> just in case that would make a difference and it did not change
> anything, I got the exact same error.

But, you didn't, as root, fix the damages by doing a "chown -R
username:groupname *", where username and groupname are valid according to
your install.  Then you can "su user", do a fresh configuration run, and
rebuild it correctly.  I too tend to forget what user I am, so in the
interests of consistency, both in that, and in the options compiled in, I
use a script for this initial config and build stage:
=========================
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
 echo
 echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
 echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
 echo "but must be installed by the user root."
 echo
 exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
 --with-group=disk \
 --with-owner=amanda \
 --with-gnu-ld \
 --prefix=/usr/local \
 --with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
 --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
 --with-tape-server=coyote \
 --with-amandahosts \
 --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
 --with-config=Daily \
 --with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/tar

make

=====================
Needless to say, this is just an outline, and one MUST edit this script to
make it fit your environment else you'll get bit by my options.  Obviously
I'm using vtapes, so a tape user will need to add 2-3 lines to the above.

Also, while you can change the whoami argument to 'backup', thats also a
group name on many systems with quite high priviledges.  You really do
need a totally unpriviledge user, and the obvious one is 'amanda', but it
could as easily have been me, gene or even elmer(or george)fudpucker.
Whatever, unpriviledged (user number > 500) is the keyword.

>Thanks,
>Jeff

message by Gene Heskett are: