Amanda-Users

amanda config problems

2006-08-02 16:39:23
Subject: amanda config problems
From: "Jeff Portwine" <jdport AT michigandrill DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 16:31:03 -0400
Hello,

I'm having problems with my amanda configuration and I'm not sure if it is with
the client or the server, though it seems at the moment to be the server.
I've tried going through the FAQ, Docs, etc and even asked on the IRC channel
but I can't figure out what's going on.

I installed amanda with the --with-user and --with-group both set to "backup".
   When I run amcheck as the backup user  I get the error message:

ERROR: NAK <amandaclient.com>: access as root not allowed from
backup@<amandaserver.com>: cannot open /root/.amandahosts: Permission denied

I don't understand what it's trying to do as root or why, I'm not running
amcheck as root.    If I do try to run it as root, I see the message "running
as root instead of backup" so I know that it knows it's supposed to be running
as user backup...

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jeff