Amanda-Users

Re: amanda config problems

2006-08-03 12:24:59
Subject: Re: amanda config problems
From: "Paddy Sreenivasan" <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Jeff Portwine" <jdport AT michigandrill DOT com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:17:02 -0700
Jeff,

Have you set client_username field in the dumptype? Are you using ssh or rsh
as authentication?

Can you provide the output of "amadmin xx version"?

Thanks,
Paddy

On 8/3/06, Jeff Portwine <jdport AT michigandrill DOT com> wrote:
> Are you 100% sure that you are looking at the correct files?
> And there is no other "amandad" installed somewhere else, which is invoked
> instead?  Also, someone else with a similar problem had mixed
> up the hostnames in DNS, resulting in connecting to his test setup
> instead.  What is in the debug files on that client (in /tmp/amanda
> usually).

I double checked and there is only the one amandad installed.

> e.g.  you do have an environment with inetd on the server and xinetd
> on the client.  Are you 100% sure that is what is invoked on the client?
> When you replace the /usr/local/lebexec/amandad on the client with
> a little shell script that writes some clear message in a debug file,
> does it invoke that script?  As what user?

When I checked the debug file, it does show the client_logon=root but I
don't know why.   I tried replacing amandad with the script you suggested
and this was the output:
Thu Aug  3 06:55:11 EDT 2006
uid=507(backup) gid=509(backup) groups=509(backup)
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
13066 ?        00:00:00 amandad
Thu Aug  3 06:55:21 EDT 2006
uid=507(backup) gid=509(backup) groups=509(backup)
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
13070 ?        00:00:00 amandad
Thu Aug  3 06:55:32 EDT 2006
uid=507(backup) gid=509(backup) groups=509(backup)
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
13075 ?        00:00:00 amandad

So at that point it does appear to be running amandad as "backup"... but
when it runs the real amandad the debug file shows CLIENT_LOGIN="root" and I
don't know why.

Thanks,
Jeff

--