Amanda-Users

Re: amanda config problems

2006-08-03 08:45:12
Subject: Re: amanda config problems
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jeff Portwine <jdport AT michigandrill DOT com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:38:19 +0200
On 2006-08-02 23:03, Jeff Portwine wrote:
I did the things it suggested there... I checked inetd.conf on the server:
amandaidx stream tcp nowait backup /usr/local/libexec amindexd
amidxtape stream tcp nowait backup /usr/local/libexec amidxtaped

I checked the xinetd.d entry on the client:
service amanda
{
       socket_type     = dgram
       protocol        = udp
       wait            = yes
       user            = backup
       group           = backup
       groups          = yes
       server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}

I checked the logs:
/usr/local/var/amanda/DailySet1/log/amdump.1:planner: USE_AMANDAHOSTS CLIENT_LOGIN="backup" FORCE_USERID HAVE_GZIP

So it seems to me everywhere I look that it should be running with user "backup" but it still tries to run as localuser 'root'. I just don't understand it.

Are you 100% sure that you are looking at the correct files?
And there is no other "amandad" installed somewhere else, which is invoked instead? Also, someone else with a similar problem had mixed
up the hostnames in DNS, resulting in connecting to his test setup
instead.  What is in the debug files on that client (in /tmp/amanda
usually).

e.g.  you do have an environment with inetd on the server and xinetd
on the client.  Are you 100% sure that is what is invoked on the client?
When you replace the /usr/local/lebexec/amandad on the client with
a little shell script that writes some clear message in a debug file,
does it invoke that script?  As what user?

  mv /usr/local/libexec/amandad /usr/local/libexec/amandad_ORIG

  cat > /usr/local/libexec/amandad
  #!/bin/sh
  date >> /tmp/debug-amandad
  id >> /tmp/debug-amandad
  ps -p $$ >> /tmp/debug-amandad  # get the parent of this process
  # or even do "ps -ef" instead
  ^D

  chmod 755 /usr/local/libexec/amandad

And run amcheck on the server again (which will fail of course).

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *