Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring from tape when Amanda server failed

2006-07-19 19:32:39
Subject: Re: Restoring from tape when Amanda server failed
From: Pavel Pragin <ppragin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: gil naveh <gilnaveh1 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:20:25 -0700
Hello,
Can you please run this and post the output:
-bash-3.00$ ammt -f /dev/rmt/0n rewind
-bash-3.00$ ammt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf 1
-bash-3.00$ amdd if=/dev/rmt/0n bs=32k count=1
Pavel

gil naveh wrote:

Thanks
but I tried to strip the header as well and it gave me teh same error message!

*/Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>/* wrote:

    On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:07:42PM -0700, gil naveh enlightened us:
    > Thanks for all the help, but I have a problem to restore the files.
    > When I type:
    > root@ # dd if=/dev/rmt/0n ibs=64k | ufsrestore if -
    > I recieve the following error message:
    > read: Invalid argument
    > 0+0 records in
    > 0+0 records out
    > Volume is not in dump format
    >
    > But as far as I know it should be in a dump format!!! – because
    in the
    > Amanda.conf I defined the backup as:

    You forgot to strip off the amanda header at the beginning of the
    file.
    Usually this is

    dd if=/dev/tape bs=32k skip=1

-- Matt Hyclak