Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring from tape when Amanda server failed

2006-07-20 11:58:54
Subject: Re: Restoring from tape when Amanda server failed
From: gil naveh <gilnaveh1 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:49:17 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Jon,
Regarding your comments/questions:
1) You keep using a blocksize of 64k for dd, why? Amanda normally uses 32k
I tried both for 32K and 64k (part of try and error trial I did to recover the data) - anyway thanks, now I am confident that amanda uses 32k.

2)Have you read the docs refered to above for how to recover?
I read those documents many times - I hate asking questions before doing my research - but when I tried to follow the instructions the recover failed!

3)Following an mt rewind, the first thing a dd should see is
the tape label header file. Your output is certainly NOT
an amanda tape label. Are you certain this is a valid
amanda tape? Or you showed the sequence of commands accurately?
I am 100% sure, it is an Amanda tape label - I only backed up those tapes with Amanda and restore the data from them using amrestore!
Ignore my previous comment regarding reading file from /tmp/data - I just  realized that I read those files from the HD instead from the tape.

4)Solaris has a fine file(1) command. What does "file /tmp/data"
tell you about what dd pulled from the tape? - ignore my privious comment regarding reading file from /tmp/data - I just  realized that I read those files from the HD instead from the tape.

At this stage I just can't recover files from the tape! When running dd I keep getting the message:
read: Invalid argument
0+0 records in
0+0 records out

Thx,
gil

Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:07:42PM -0700, gil naveh wrote:
> Thanks for all the help, but I have a problem to restore the files.
> When I type:
> root@ # dd if=/dev/rmt/0n ibs=64k | ufsrestore if -
> I recieve the following error message:
> read: Invalid argument
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> Volume is not in dump format
>
> But as far as I know it should be in a dump format!!! ? because in the Amanda.conf I defined the backup as:
>
> define dumptype daily {
> global
> # program "DUMP" # the default
> # record yes # the default
> comment "daily"
> compress client fast
> priority high
> # dumpcycle 5 # should be obtained from dumpcycle above
> index yes
> }
>

> I also tried the following:
> % mt -f /dev/rmt/0n rewind
> % dd if=/dev/rmt/0n of=/tmp/data bs=64k count=2
> % od -c /tmp/data | head
>
> And received the following output:
> 0000000 \0 002 P 022 \0 \f \0 001 . \0 \0 \0 \0 003 242 Q
> 0000020 \0 \f \0 002 . . \0 \0 \0 002 P 023 001 350 \0 006
> 0000040 n e w b c k \0 \0 \0 \f \0 003 b c k \0
> 0000060 \0 \0 \0 \0 001 320 \0 006 n e w b c k \0 \0
> 0000100 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0
> *
> 0001000
>
> Can one deduct the dump format from the above output?
>
> Many thanks,
> gil
> Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2006-07-19 17:35, gil naveh wrote:
> > Thanks for the help.
> > I am familiar with the Amrestore command.
>
> Then you understand that you can replace "amrestore" with a
> "mt" and "dd".

> The docs in http://www.amanda.org/docs/restore.html
> are a little more expanded, giving more examples in:
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Restoring_files

Grrr, I hate top posting.
So hard to add inline and following

Anyway, several points.

We don't know it should be a ufsdump, your dumptype includes
global that we don't see and otherwise does not define PROGRAM.

You keep using a blocksize of 64k for dd, why? Amanda normally
uses 32k.

Have you read the docs refered to above for how to recover?

Your dumptype says compress, presumably with gzip. I see no
unzipping in your attempted recovery
commentary.

--
Jon H. LaBadie jon AT jgcomp DOT com