Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring from tape when Amanda server failed

2006-07-19 12:18:47
Subject: Re: Restoring from tape when Amanda server failed
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: gil naveh <gilnaveh1 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:11:59 +0200

On 2006-07-19 17:35, gil naveh wrote:
Thanks for the help.
I am familiar with the Amrestore command.

Then you understand that you can replace "amrestore" with a
"mt" and "dd".

But the problem I am facing is that the Amanda server which also holds other applications crushed. So I have to restore data from another server - I have Solaris 9 and and or Solaris 10 servers that I can connect to the tape drive...
I also saved the configuration files of the amanda server.
Is there a way to directly connect to the tape drive and use unix commands to restore data from it?
Or any other suggestions...

   mt -f /dev/rmt/0n  fsf 34
   dd bs=32k if=/dev/rmt/0n skip=1  of=/some/where

dd to to stdout, in a pipe with netcat:
        ...  | nc -w 1 client 1234

And on the client you have already this command listening:

   nc -l -p 1234 | gtar -zxpGvf -

The docs in  http://www.amanda.org/docs/restore.html
are a little more expanded, giving more examples in:

   http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Restoring_files

Easiest is to first restore the amanda command "amrestore"
That one does not need any config file at all.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *