Amanda-Users

Re: 77 hour backup of 850gb?

2006-06-30 04:33:59
Subject: Re: 77 hour backup of 850gb?
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:24:51 +0200

> The backups will go directly to tape (i.e., slowly) if the _entire_ backup
> image doesn't fit on the holdingdisk.

Sorry for asking but, why do you say backuping directly to tape is slow?

I guess he's doing local backups (ie: The 700GB are not sent over the network every full backups).

In this configuration what would be the benefit of having an holding disk?

I'm currently trying to backup about the same amount of data with a Dell LTO-3 and cannot go faster than 20MB/s (see the thread "tar's default block size &  shoe-shinning").

Regards,

Cyrille Bollu
Responsable système
Fedasil - ICT