Amanda-Users

Re: 77 hour backup of 850gb?

2006-06-29 23:54:05
Subject: Re: 77 hour backup of 850gb?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:49:10 -0500
Jon LaBadie wrote:

> If I understand tape spanning correctly, and
> if we are going direct to tape, which we are, you will need
> at least 2 x 20GB for the split buffers.  One being filled
> and another dumping to tape.

Does the tape-spanning code in 2.5 no longer require you to have
a holdingdisk larger than the DLE to work?   If so, what happens
with a large DLE when the tape catches up to the buffer, does all
taping stop?  And if the client dumper dies during taping, does
the taper sit there indefinitely and block the rest of the dumps?
I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the tape-spanning features,
so perhaps these are stupid questions.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673