Amanda-Users

Re: 77 hour backup of 850gb?

2006-06-29 20:20:03
Subject: Re: 77 hour backup of 850gb?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Paul Graf <grafpm AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:14:00 -0500
Paul Graf wrote:
> I've got a strange problem with my backups.  I'm running Amanda 2.5 on FC4,
> and the problem lies with one large directory that needs to be backed up.
> It's over 700 gigs, so it has to span tapes.  Eventually the backup will
> complete, but I'm getting an average of 3 MB/s.  However, if I back up
> something smaller (I have a few directories being backed up that are around
> 100 megs), I get 25 MB/s.  I also did some test tar backups of a few gigs,
> and those went at around 25 MB/s as well.
>
> I do have an idea about what is causing the problem, but I'd like to get
> some input before I try to adjust anything.  My tape library is a Dell LTO-2
> unit (200GB uncompressed), and going by the amanda.conf comments, I set the
> chunk size to 20GB.  I have a feeling that this is conflicted by my holding
> disk space, which is also 20GB.  Would increasing the holding disk space or
> decreasing the chunk size be helpful?  Here's my amanda.conf:

The backups will go directly to tape (i.e., slowly) if the _entire_ backup
image doesn't fit on the holdingdisk.  The chunksize parameter is just
to prevent having problems with systems lacking largefile support where
you can't create a single file larger than 2GB or so (depending on the
filesystem and OS).  Taper doesn't start writing a DLE to tape until all
of its chunks are collected in the holdingdisk, so in your case where it
won't fit Amanda bypasses the holdingdisk and writes directly to tape.

Increasing the holdingdisk space would only help if you make it larger than
700GB.  One thing that might work for you is splitting up that DLE into
smaller pieces, although you still might want a larger holdingingdisk so
you won't need to split it into as many DLEs.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673