Amanda-Users

RE: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)

2006-05-16 13:53:30
Subject: RE: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)
From: "Gordon J. Mills III" <Gordon.Mills AT usa DOT net>
To: "'Frank Smith'" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:48:55 -0500
> Gordon J. Mills III wrote:
> > Josef, here are some of my comments about TSM that I sent
> to a lister
> > off list. I think in a later email I will try to list the
> things that
> > I liked about TSM that I would like to see in Amanda. Some
> may not be possible.
> >
> > At my previous job we used TSM and it is a very nice backup
> solution.
> > We had a tape library that held about 250 tapes and up to 8
> drives (We
> > had 5 drives in it). It seems to excel at backing up large
> amounts of
> > data. One unique thing it does is that it uses and "incremental
> > forever" backup strategy. It backs up a machine fully only once (it
> > can probably be setup other ways, but that's the way we
> used it)<--(I
> > could be wrong about that). There is a backup server
> (similar to the
> > way Amanda is setup) and it has a database that keeps track of
> > everything that has been backed up (all files). It knows
> what files are on what tapes (Also similar to Amanda).
> >

> One possible downside of the TSM approach is this database.
> If it is somehow lost or corrupted, all you have is a bunch
> of tapes with random chunks of data that may not be
> recoverable into its original structure.  While it is a
> robust database, things can happen (such as failing RAID or
> SAN controllers wiping out all of your redundant disks), so
> you need to make sure that you have backups of the database
> that are outside of TSM (somewhat similar to what can happen
> if you lose your Amanda indexes, except that with Amanda you
> can use native tools to restore everything on your tapes.
>
> Frank
>

> --
> Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
> Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673
> Hoover's Online                                   Fax: 512-374-4501

Hello Frank. That is true, as you point out the DB becomes VERY important in
this type of backup scheme. I believe the way we handled it was to use their
BMR (Bare Metal Recovery) on the backup server (and other critical servers).
I suspect it backs up everything necessary to rebuild the database in case
of failure. Of course this all goes towards the more overhead necessary for
such a scheme.

Regards,
Gordon