Amanda-Users

Re: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)

2006-05-17 13:39:13
Subject: Re: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:32:01 -0400
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:41:57AM -0500, Gordon J. Mills III wrote:

> > > .... How much trouble is it to install amanda on cygwin?
> > >

> > The real problem (as I see it) is support, your support time that is.
> > With smbclient nothing needs be done/added to the windows system.
> > With cygwin, you have to add and maintain cygwin on 'each'
> > windows client.
> > Then on 'each' windows client also add and maintain amanda.
> >
> > If you need it, you need it though.
> >
> > For one or two windows systems not too bad, for fifty or a
> > hundred that don't use cygwin otherwise?
> > bleech!
> >

> Thanks Jon. That is a good point. I'm not sure what would be the best answer
> for Windows clients...I guess it depends on each environment. On TSM I had
> to install client software on each machine. Of course it wasn't very hard
> since it was a win32 client. Took about 5 min.
>
> If it could all be done from the amanda machine using smbclient, that would
> sure be easy. It would put a much greater load on the backup server, but it
> would not require anything on the win client. For that to work though,
> smbclient would need to support windows ACL's and include/exclude lists. The
> latter is definitely do-able. I have no idea about adding ACL support...

Its been a few years since I looked at smbclient and its exclude capability.

One difference is the lack of a way to supply a file of exclude patterns.
They all were supplied as command line args.  Currently amanda collects
all the patterns for a DLE (whether from an exclude list or exclude file)
and creates a single file for gnutar to use.

Back then I wrote shell wrapper for smbclient that reversed the procedure,
taking the one file provided and expanded it into smbclient syntax.  It
had to consider quoting and special characters as I recall.  Seemed to do
the job the way I wanted, but smbclient's exclude features were broken at
that time, even for a single pattern which amanda was trying to support so
I stopped persuing it.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)