Amanda-Users

RE: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)

2006-05-17 11:55:57
Subject: RE: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)
From: "Gordon J. Mills III" <Gordon.Mills AT usa DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:41:57 -0500
> > Paddy, will it only work when using cygwin client on
> windows or will
> > it also be possible using smbclient from the server? I have
> setup the
> > backup of several windows servers using the smbclient
> method. I have
> > not yet attempted a cygwin client, but if it will offer
> > it may be worth it. How much trouble is it to install
> amanda on cygwin?
> >

> The real problem (as I see it) is support, your support time that is.
> With smbclient nothing needs be done/added to the windows system.
> With cygwin, you have to add and maintain cygwin on 'each'
> windows client.
> Then on 'each' windows client also add and maintain amanda.
>
> If you need it, you need it though.
>
> For one or two windows systems not too bad, for fifty or a
> hundred that don't use cygwin otherwise?
> bleech!
>
> --
> Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
>  JG Computing
>  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
>  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

Thanks Jon. That is a good point. I'm not sure what would be the best answer
for Windows clients...I guess it depends on each environment. On TSM I had
to install client software on each machine. Of course it wasn't very hard
since it was a win32 client. Took about 5 min.

If it could all be done from the amanda machine using smbclient, that would
sure be easy. It would put a much greater load on the backup server, but it
would not require anything on the win client. For that to work though,
smbclient would need to support windows ACL's and include/exclude lists. The
latter is definitely do-able. I have no idea about adding ACL support...

That would be nice though :-).

Regards,
Gordon