Amanda-Users

Re: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)

2006-05-16 22:07:41
Subject: Re: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 22:00:48 -0400
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:31:57PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:58:55AM -0400, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > I've been thinking about a tape changer that uses a timestamp for the
> > label.  No tape is ever reused.  When amdump runs, something creates a
> > new tape, labels it, and loads it.  The backup is done to this tape.
>
> Couldn't this be done now with the autolabel feature and a V.large
> tapecycle that always called for a new tape?

Ooo!  That's exciting, I didn't know that there was such a think as
autolabel.  Ironically, the first google link when searching for
"amanda autolabel" is about TSM.  I checked the stuff on
www.amanda.org but I didn't find that option.  Could I get some more
info?

> > Shouldn't this be easy if you plan to make your vtapes the same size
> > as your ptapes?
>
> The logs+indexes might be a problem if it was going to a different config.
> And I was thinking of maybe selecting what I wanted, like all level 0's of
> a particular host:disk.  Or as of a specific date, one level 0 plus
> incrementals up to that date.

Oh that would be a cool tool.  It would solve a lot of problems for
smaller installations too.  Say I want to backup my workstation and
have the files accessible most of the time for easy restore.  However,
I do want occasional archival copies to tape/DVD/whatever.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us

man in the bonds of Hell."