Amanda-Users

Re: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)

2006-05-17 00:11:00
Subject: Re: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)
From: "Paddy Sreenivasan" <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Ross Vandegrift" <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:04:49 -0700
On 5/16/06, Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us> wrote:
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:31:57PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:58:55AM -0400, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > I've been thinking about a tape changer that uses a timestamp for the
> > label.  No tape is ever reused.  When amdump runs, something creates a
> > new tape, labels it, and loads it.  The backup is done to this tape.
>
> Couldn't this be done now with the autolabel feature and a V.large
> tapecycle that always called for a new tape?

Ooo!  That's exciting, I didn't know that there was such a think as
autolabel.  Ironically, the first google link when searching for
"amanda autolabel" is about TSM.  I checked the stuff on
www.amanda.org but I didn't find that option.  Could I get some more
info?

See http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda.conf#PARAMETERS. Look for
label_new_tapes parameter. This functionality is available in 2.5.0.

Search for label_new_tapes in the wiki to see examples on how to use the
parameter.

Paddy