Amanda-Users

Re: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)

2006-05-17 11:18:06
Subject: Re: Would like to get list's impression on (amanda 4TB backup)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:03:11 -0400
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 09:22:02AM -0500, Gordon J. Mills III wrote:

> > > Probably most important to me though would be the ability to handle
> > > Windows backups better. I know that it is not necessarily Amanda's
> > > fault, but the file permissions (ACLs) cannot currently be
> > backed up
> > > with Amanda. Also, it does not allow exclude lists for windows
> > > clients. This should be possible since now smbclient has
> > this feature.
> >
> > Amanda 2.5.1 will support Schily tar (GNU tar) that has
> > ability to backup to POSIX ACLs.
> > Windows ACLs will be added to Schily tar. So Cygwin clients
> > can backup windows ACLs.
> > Paddy
>
> Paddy, will it only work when using cygwin client on windows or will it also
> be possible using smbclient from the server? I have setup the backup of
> several windows servers using the smbclient method. I have not yet attempted
> a cygwin client, but if it will offer more options it may be worth it. How
> much trouble is it to install amanda on cygwin?

The real problem (as I see it) is support, your support time that is.
With smbclient nothing needs be done/added to the windows system.
With cygwin, you have to add and maintain cygwin on 'each' windows client.
Then on 'each' windows client also add and maintain amanda.

If you need it, you need it though.

For one or two windows systems not too bad,
for fifty or a hundred that don't use cygwin otherwise?
bleech!

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)