Amanda-Users

Re: Defining a sensible backup routine

2006-04-17 16:03:44
Subject: Re: Defining a sensible backup routine
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:59:55 -0500
Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 02:03:29PM -0500, Frank Smith wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> When I add the video directories,  I'll put them into two DLEs, which will
>>> give around 5GB in one and 10GB in the other, and I'll start them on
>>> different days.  That should help the balancing, I think.
>>>
>>> Anne
>> Also, if you have DLEs that change infrequently, and that you will
>> always know when they change, you could move them into a separate
>> 'always-full' config that you only run manually as needed.
>>

> Frank,
>
> what is the advantage of a second config like that
> or inclusion of the DLEs in the same config but
> with a dumptype specifying skip-incr?

Suppose  you have a large DLE that rarely changes (archived data,
videos, isos, or somesuch).  If your normal dumpcycle is a week,
you will be writing it all to tape every week and using a lot of
tape over the course of your tapecycle.  Also, planner has to work
around that large dump every dumpcycle.  If you make it a separate
config, you just back it up when it changes, and won't need to back
it up again until the next change, which might be months later, saving
lots of tape and dump time.
   I recall someone suggesting making it part of the regular config
and commenting the DLE out between changes, but if you do that you
run the risk of having it fall off the back end of your tapecyle f
you go a long time without changes.
   Whether or not a separate DLE is the right thing to do would depend
on the size of the data, how often it changes, and how sure you are
that you will be aware of changes and remember to run the backup.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673