Amanda-Users

Re: Defining a sensible backup routine

2006-04-18 14:51:37
Subject: Re: Defining a sensible backup routine
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:48:18 -0400
On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:13:39PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 17 April 2006 19:24, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >
> > One of the goals of the amanda planner is to have a consistant
> > sized backup each run.  That is clearly not going to happen
> > with the DLEs you are backing up.  If you want to defeat this
> > aspect of amanda's planning the parameters are there, probably
> > maxpromotedays 0 is what you want.
>
> Backup failed today, with the errors
>
> "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf", line 26: configuration keyword
> expected
> "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf", line 26: end of line expected
> amgetconf: errors processing config file
> "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf"
>
> Line 26 says
>
> maxpromotedays 0      # Ensure reasonable number of incrementals
>
> I had initially missed the final 's' of maxpromotedays, but even after
> correcting that, amcheck gives the same errors.  What could I be overlooking?

You shouldn't trust everything said on the mailing list ;(

According to the manpage for amanda/amanda.conf, it is singular,
no "s".  But check it for spelling too.

If amcheck still complains show us a chunk of your config file
around the problem line.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)