Amanda-Users

Forcing full backups on a regular basis

2006-04-18 15:08:07
Subject: Forcing full backups on a regular basis
From: "Gabriel O'Brien" <go AT quay DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:05:06 -0400
Hi folks,

I'm using amanda to back up three servers using tpchanger "chg-disk".

Everything is working fine, however due to the fact that I don't have a real tape changer I'd like to be able to take a given snapshot of all systems from time to time and burn it to DVD. I've already configured the virtual tapes to be somewhat smaller than a DVD.

From what I understand "dumpcycle" only specifies that a full dump must happen (at least) every 7 days but otherwise it attempts to distribute those full dumps from various filesystems. Is there a way of enforcing this automatically so that there is a predictable schedule when a dump will contain a full backup of everything (i.e.: every Thursday night)? I realize I could probably run two backup schedules (one daily, one weekly) and turn incremental off on one of them completely, but that just seems clunky to me unless there's a way of utilizing the same tapes on two schedules?!

Alternately I guess I could build a little script that would allow me to build a full image on demand from the incremental if I understand amanda properly. That would probably suit my purposes as well.

Any help would be appreciated!

cheers,
Gabe