Amanda-Users

Re: Defining a sensible backup routine

2006-04-17 11:49:48
Subject: Re: Defining a sensible backup routine
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: Anne Wilson <cannewilson AT tiscali.co DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:47:21 -0400
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:15:07PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> The DLEs are set to a 4-day rotation, but in practice I
> am seeing level 0 backups almost every other day, for all of them.
>
> It would seem reasonable, to me, based on the small amount of changes,
> to have a level0 weekly, for all of them, I think.

Hi Anne,

If you want a level0 weekly why not set your dumpcycle to 7 days?  This
basically tells Amanda to try and do weekly level0 backups and
incrementals are okay in between.

Another thing you can do that helped me out a lot - change the bump
parameters!  I work with a fairly large Amanda setup where disk space
is usually at a premium.  I was able to save a lot of space by tuning
the bump parameters to do more higher-level incremental backups.

While the system previously wasted a lot of diskspace in the second
half of the cycle doing level 1 and 2 backups, now it usually bumps
every day, hitting level 5 or 6 by the end of the week.

Of course you take a hit on restore time, but restores are pretty
decent from virtual tape as it is, so I'm not too concerned about
there being five or six steps instead of two or three.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us

man in the bonds of Hell."