Amanda-Users

Re: how to split partitions

2006-04-03 11:55:23
Subject: Re: how to split partitions
From: listrcv <listrcv AT condor-werke DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:50:35 +0200
Paul Bijnens wrote:

To be exact, the last pair of "include" stmts would be equivalent to:

   include "./foo" "./bar"

Note the quotes around EACH argument.

But there is currently a bug that a space inside an exclude or include argument is not escaped when passing those strings to the client.
So the last paragraph on that wiki page about "argument mismach" is
not about not being able to put many args on one include, but having
a space in one arg.
  include   "./My Documents"
would fail too.  And:

  include "./foo ./bar"

is actually looking for a directory named:  "bar" inside the
directory "foo ." (with a trailing space and dot), at leastwhen that
bug would be fixed.

  AAPW       --  ( All applicable patches welcome  :-)  )

Hm, I guess we better patch the documentation first, and then, users are advised to use (several) include/exclude statements specifying only _one_ path per statement anyway, so that fixing the bug won't introduce a new one.

Just treating the content of the option as _one_ path, which spaces allowed in it, would make it easier to handle paths containing spaces. It's imho preferable to maintain a 'native' syntax to specify pathes, rather than developing a special syntax to give paths with spaces within. And then, there's nothing against using several exclude/include statements, and it only improves readability.

If you think of regular expressions, some are pretty hard to read, and it's so hard to create them that I won't like having to do that in a disklist. Let's keep things simple, for the sake of reliability.

GH