Amanda-Users

Re: how to split partitions

2006-04-03 03:47:46
Subject: Re: how to split partitions
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:40:09 +0200
On 2006-04-03 07:38, Josef Wolf wrote:
On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 09:34:59PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:

That would mean that the estimate phase should be smart enough (may
be add an option "autosplit" for those DLE's where you want that) to
pick a few large subdirectories out and then split the DLE dynamically.

This is not what I have meant.  No autosplitting.  Just automatically
create appropriate exclude entries.  When one sees a DLE starts becoming
too big, just pich one of its subdirs and create a new DLE for this
directory, that's all.  No fiddling with exclude list entries any more.

I understood that after your last mail.

The problem with that approach is that the Amanda server does not
know if a subdir is on another mountpoint or not.
It only needs excludes if it is on the same mountpoint.

After my coffee, I'll understand the implications of adding it always,
even if the directory is on another mountpoint:

mounts:

/dev/hda1  on /
/dev/hda3  on /var

with disklist:

pluto   /            comp-tar
pluto   /var         comp-tar
pluto   /var/spool   comp-tar

getting excludes similar to:

pluto   /       {
                comp-tar
                exclude append "./var"
                }
pluto   /var    {
                comp-tar
                exclude append "./spool"
                }
pluto   /var/spool comp-tar

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *