Amanda-Users

Re: how to split partitions

2006-04-02 15:50:05
Subject: Re: how to split partitions
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 14:44:59 -0500
Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Josef Wolf schreef:

>> Am I the only one to find this setup needlessly error prone and complicated?
>> Would amanda automatically create appropriate exclude entries from its DLE
>> information, all this would be greatly simplified.
>>
>> For example, with this set of DLE entries:
>>
>>   /share/
>>   /share/financial
>>   /share/financial/company-a
>>   /share/financial/company-b
>>   /share/reports
>>
>> amanda should automatically create following exclude entries:
>>
>>   DLE                 exclude entry
>>   --------------------------------------------
>>   /share              ./financial ./reports
>>   /share/financial    ./company-a ./company-b
>>
>> With this, the whole described procedure would be reduced just to add a
>> directory to the disklist.  No more risk to get the "catch all" entry wrong.
>>

> Interesting idea.
>
> That would mean that the estimate phase should be smart enough (may
> be add an option "autosplit" for those DLE's where you want that) to
> pick a few large subdirectories out and then split the DLE dynamically.
> We could change "calcsize" for this.

Autosplit seems confusing.  If your disklist is dynamic, how would
you do a restore? What would you use as an argument to setdisk, as
the DLE containing a particular file would vary from day to day.
Also, how would planner interact with a dynamic disklist?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673