Amanda-Users

Re: how to split partitions

2006-04-02 16:04:56
Subject: Re: how to split partitions
From: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:56:31 +0200
On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 10:44:35AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

Gene, you mis-interpreted me.  I am _not_ about how excluding works today
(I understand how it works).  I am about how to change amanda to avoid the
boring and error prone procedure that is described in
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backing_up_large_amounts_of_data.

I try to explain it a little more verbosely.

Given following disklist:

  /share/
  /share/financial
  /share/financial/company-a
  /share/financial/company-b
  /share/reports

amanda should automatically create following exclude entries:

  DLE                         generated exclude entries    note
  /share/                     ./financial ./reports        [1]
  /share/financial            ./company-a ./company-b      [2]
  /share/financial/company-a                               [3]
  /share/financial/company-b                               [3]
  /share/reports                                           [3]

[1] Since /share/financial and /share/reports have their own entries in the
    disklist, amanda should automatically add ./financial and ./reports
    to the exclude list of /share

[2] Since /share/financial/company-[ab] have their own entries in the
    disklist, amanda should automatically add corresponding entries
    to the exclude list of /share/financial

[3] No entries should be generated automatically for this DLE

> >  DLE                 exclude entry
> >  --------------------------------------------
> >  /share              ./financial ./reports
> Which will exclude the subdir financial and the file reports

Exactly.  Since /share/reports and /share/financial are in the disklist,
those exclude entries should be generated automatically.

> >  /share/financial    ./company-a ./company-b
> Which will exclude both of the ./company files.
> You've excluded everything.  What was it you wanted to get with that
> disklist entry pair?

Since /share/financial/company-[ab] are in the disklist, they can be
automatically excluded from the /share/financial DLE.