Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-14 09:03:35
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Thomas Widhalm <widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:54:09 +0100
On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 10:59 -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 04:05:00PM +0100, Thomas Widhalm wrote:

> > > What is your schedule?  (dumpcycle, etc.)
> >
> > dumpcycle 8 days. amanda run from a script within crontab every day.
>
> There was an "etc." up there.
> Presumably your runspercycle is also 8?

Set to 0, so it is 8.

> > > Are these dumps promoted frequently?
> >
> > Yes. Every day
> >
> > > How/when do you remove the older holdingdisk backups?
> >
> > There is a procedure within our script, which deletes any directory
> > named after a date, older than 9 days with "rm -fr"
>
> Does this keep your index dir growing; or do you trim that too?
>
> Have you tried resetting some parameters like bumpsize, bumpmult,
> and bumpdays?  They may have an affect on your situation.

Thanks. I will search for these.

> A workaround would be to use a dumptype that does no fulls, or
> strategy incrmental only.  Then daily run a cron script that
> selects the DLE's you want full dumps of and issues an amadmin
> "force" command to cause a level 0 dump the next run.

This is a rather good idea. If nothing else works out, I will try this
for sure.

Thanks.

* Thomas Widhalm                             Unix Administrator *
* University of Salzburg                       ITServices (ITS) *
* Systems Management                               Unix Systems *
* Hellbrunnerstr. 34                     5020 Salzburg, Austria *
* widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at                     +43/662/8044-6774 *
* gpg: 6265BAE6                                                 *
* http://www.sbg.ac.at/zid/organisation/mitarbeiter/widhalm.htm *