Amanda-Users

Re: Request for enhancement - Auto dle

2005-05-16 06:22:13
Subject: Re: Request for enhancement - Auto dle
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:10:52 +0200
Frank Smith wrote:

   A third, and probably larger issue is recovery.  If your disklist becomes
dynamic, how do you recover something from a DLE that is no longer in
your disklist?  I know it's possible with some manual editing, but is it
practical
to try and remember what a DLE was or search through your old reports to
find out?

Actually, this slight inconvenience has been nagging me for a while, too, and it is in fact independent from your disklist being dynamic. Whenever you delete some DLE from your disklist, you can't easily `amrecover' from it. Heck, you can't even ask `amadmin <conf> find' for it so that you can restore the files yourself. As I'm sure everybody here does, I just `cvs update' my disklist to an earlier date in that case, amrecover, and then update back to the latest version, but this is a bit more work.

Anybody have an idea of how one could possibly circumvent this problem? Fortunately, we know exactly at what time an old DLE can completely be forgotten about (when its last index has been killed).

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29