Amanda-Users

Re: Request for enhancement - Auto dle

2005-05-13 14:35:26
Subject: Re: Request for enhancement - Auto dle
From: jeffrey d anderson <jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:18:58 -0700
On Friday 13 May 2005 10:20 am, Chris Lee wrote:
> It would be great if we could tell amanda that all subdirectories of a
> specific root were to be treated as individual disk list entries. i.e.
> balance all sub directories across backups.
>
> This would help in cases like my home system where I have a few user
> directories.

I would second this request.  It would be quite helpful.

I have some backup clients with very large RAID devices, so the DLEs must be
split to fit on my tapes.  But I'm not the admin of these machines, and it is
a pain to check in periodically, making sure no new directories have been
created, and adding new DLEs whenever I happen to notice that they have been.

An alternative, I suppose, would be to have amanda split the DLE into chunks
of some maximum size.

Jeffrey Anderson                        | jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   | Mailstop 50a-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208                     | Fax: 510 486-6808