Amanda-Users

Re: Re[6]: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server

2005-03-04 10:22:38
Subject: Re: Re[6]: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server
From: Bert_De_Ridder AT peopleware DOT be
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:17:18 +0100

That's too bad;

But, you can indeed have multiple configurations; these will be in seperate directories
However they can NOT be on the same tape, for some reason, Amanda is very picky about that kind of things.

You should have 2 sets of tapes, one set for the nightly and one set for the daytime backups.

In your case your directory structure will be something like this :

/etc/amanda/daily/
containing the disklist and amanda.conf

and
/etc/amanda/dailyora
also containing the disklist and amanda.conf   but with (of course other content)

Or, if all machines have access to the tape device, you could have the amanda configuration on all machines, but then you must be careful that you know what job is doing exactly what.
Ideally, there should be only one 'master' server (the indexserver) that controls the other server's backups.

Kind regards,

Bert De Ridder

PeopleWare NV - Head Office

Cdt.Weynsstraat 85
B-2660 Hoboken
Tel: +32 3 448.33.38
Fax: +32 3 448.32.66

PeopleWare NV - Branch Office Geel

Kleinhoefstraat 5
B-2440 Geel
Tel: +32 14 57.00.90
Fax: +32 14 58.13.25

http://www.peopleware.be
http://www.mobileware.be

Jack$on <jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua>

04/03/2005 15:59
Please respond to
Jack$on <jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua>

Bert_De_Ridder AT peopleware DOT be
cc
Subject
Re[6]: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server

Hello Bert,

Bpb> Of course I'm interested in your results;
Bpb> if I have the time, I will help you with problems that might arise.

Bpb> Good luck, Jack$on.

bad news :((

my Oracle developers & users don't allow me stop Oracle DB :(.

now, I make hot backup of Oracle DataBase, then backup files write to
the local tape.
It seems, thet i can't stop DB, & use your nicely solution :(.

Another bad news -- this hot backup finished very closed to start of
work day -- i can't run amdump at estimated time, because i have at
least 3 servers, with big size data for backup... I think that i'm
don't have time to finish backup, before our workers start the job...

Finally, new question:
can I create different amanda configuration (example -- daily &
dailyora). At first I backup all my servers, exclude Oracle DB, fn
second -- only Oracle DB.

admump daily -- I'm run at the night,
amdump dailyora -- at the morning, with rsh from Oracle DB server,
after hot backup finished...

and the major -- both backups must white to the same tape.
(I have tape changer HP 1/8 autoloader, Ultrium LTO2 Tape).

If I descibe same amanda.conf, with same labelstr, same tapelist and
different disklist, does the amanda white data from both amdump to the
same tape at one day?

I hope, that I can explain enough my problem...

--
Best regards,
Jack$on                            mailto:jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua