Amanda-Users

Re: Re[2]: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server

2005-03-04 10:09:38
Subject: Re: Re[2]: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server
From: Bert_De_Ridder AT peopleware DOT be
To: Jack$on <jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:44:54 +0100

You have to configure amanda like this on the server where the oracle database is located.
I guess you could call it a client, since the real scheduling is done on the 'index server'
And the indexing server sends the tar command to the other servers.

Adapt the script to your local needs, if you need some special processing, that goes in the parts where the if's are :

if ( $file ne '/dev/null' )
{
  if ( $dir eq '/your/oracle/dir' )
  {
    system "echo 'Start backup oracle at ' >> /var/lib/amanda/runtime" ;
    system "date >> /var/lib/amanda/runtime";
    system ( "command to stop oracle  >> /var/lib/amanda/runtime" );
  }
}

If you want to back up another directory, just add them to your disklist on the index server, this script will perform no special operation on the server to be backed up for the other directories. It will just perform the tar like it is supposed to.

Dumptypes are no compile time options, that are options that are put in your amanda.conf file.

Something like this :

define dumptype client-compress {
        global
    program "GNUTAR"
    compress client best
    priority high
    index yes
}

In your disklist there will be an entry like this :

oracleserver     /your/oracle/dir    client-compress

The --with-gnutar=/bin/amandatar is when you build amanda (which you should do; you cannot use an rpm that you downloaded somewhere to use this functionalilty).

So : download the sources, untar them  ( tar -xvzf amanda_version.tgz )
cd to the dir where the source is extracted
configure the source tree, use your own system policy concerning /usr/local etc :

./configure \
  --with-user=amanda \
  --prefix=/usr/local \
  --exec-prefix=/usr \
  --bindir=/usr/bin \
  --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
  --libexecdir=/usr/lib/amanda \
  --with-configdir=/etc/amanda \
  --with-group=disk \
  --with-gnutar=/bin/amandatar \
  --with-gnutar-listdir=/var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists \
  --with-tmpdir=/tmp/amanda \
  --with-smbclient=/usr/bin/smbclient \
  --mandir=/usr/local/man

build the sources :

make

install the resulting binaries :

make install

Now you can use your home-built Amanda  :-)

Kind regards,

Bert De Ridder

PeopleWare NV - Head Office

Cdt.Weynsstraat 85
B-2660 Hoboken
Tel: +32 3 448.33.38
Fax: +32 3 448.32.66

PeopleWare NV - Branch Office Geel

Kleinhoefstraat 5
B-2440 Geel
Tel: +32 14 57.00.90
Fax: +32 14 58.13.25

http://www.peopleware.be
http://www.mobileware.be

Jack$on <jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua>

04/03/2005 14:02
Please respond to
Jack$on <jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua>

Bert_De_Ridder AT peopleware DOT be
cc
amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Subject
Re[2]: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server

Hello Bert,

Bpb> I don't even take credit for this solution;
Bpb> all credits should go to Paul Bijnens - also on this list.

Bpb> (alles kits, Paul ? ;-)  )

Bingo! :)
beautiful!!! :)
Thanx a lot!
finaly -- some dumes questions.

i build amanda whith my tar scripts at client?
and using at amanda server comp-root-tar...

but if I must backup several directories, but only 1 of them needs
Oracle stop...
May I compile amanda, with any different dumptype?
example -- comp-root-oratar

what about it?

--
Best regards,
Jack$on                            mailto:jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua