Amanda-Users

Re: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server

2005-03-04 12:34:21
Subject: Re: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:07:19 +0100
Jon LaBadie wrote:

Sorry to ride on Bert's posting, but I don't have a copy of the original.

I didn't see the original either, so I jump on too.

my Oracle developers & users don't allow me stop Oracle DB :(.

now, I make hot backup of Oracle DataBase, then backup files write to
the local tape.
It seems, thet i can't stop DB, & use your nicely solution :(.

Last time I looked at doing backups of Oracle (Ora 6-7-8), I
approached it as follows:  first set each tablespace in hot backup mode
(alter tablespace TS begin backup) then doing a filesystem backup
of all the directories with datafiles, using plain amanda DLE's,
then setting each tablespace out of hot backup mode, (alter
tablespace TS end backup);  then force a redo log switch (alter
system switch logfile) and then doing a backup of the archived redologs.

No need to stop the database at all.

The dirty trick with amanda here is getting the archived redo logs done
after the rest. That is difficult, because the datafiles
are spread over different DLE's, and, as another thread this week
already explained, you can't very well specify an order for the DLE's
in amanda.  My solution was to mirror the archived redologs to a
different machine. Having a tapebackup of datafiles + archived redologs
on two different machines was enough to restore the database.  That
mirror was kept up to date during daytime too.
To be really sure, I did a full export too (also nice to restore a
single table if needed).

Is Oracle 9-10 any different for "hot backup mode" (i.e. more
complicated than it need to be?).

Another bad news -- this hot backup finished very closed to start of
work day -- i can't run amdump at estimated time, because i have at

I think I don't understand this sentence "i can't run amdump at estimated time". Can you elaborate on this?