Amanda-Users

Re[6]: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server

2005-03-04 10:09:31
Subject: Re[6]: backup Oracle DB at AMANDA server
From: Jack$on <jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:01:44 +0200
Hello Bert,

Bpb> Of course I'm interested in your results;
Bpb> if I have the time, I will help you with problems that might arise.

Bpb> Good luck, Jack$on.

Bpb> Kind regards,

Bpb> Bert De Ridder

Bpb> PeopleWare NV - Head Office
Bpb> Cdt.Weynsstraat 85
Bpb> B-2660 Hoboken
Bpb> Tel: +32 3 448.33.38
Bpb> Fax: +32 3 448.32.66

Bpb> PeopleWare NV - Branch Office Geel
Bpb> Kleinhoefstraat 5
Bpb> B-2440 Geel
Bpb> Tel: +32 14 57.00.90
Bpb> Fax: +32 14 58.13.25

Bpb> http://www.peopleware.be
Bpb> http://www.mobileware.be

Bpb> Jack$on <jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua>04/03/2005 14:58

Bpb> Please respond to
Bpb> Jack$on <jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua>

Bpb> Bert_De_Ridder AT peopleware DOT becc

Bpb> Subject

Bpb> Re[4]: backup Oracle DB at
Bpb> AMANDA server

Bpb> Hello Bert,

Bpb> Friday, March 4, 2005, 3:44:54 PM, you wrote:

Bpb>> You have to configure amanda like this
Bpb>> on the server where the oracle database is located.
Bpb>> I guess you could call it a client,
Bpb>> since the real scheduling is done on the 'index server'
Bpb>> And the indexing server sends the tar
Bpb>> command to the other servers.

Bpb>> Adapt the script to your local needs,
Bpb>> if you need some special processing, that goes in the parts where
Bpb> the if's
Bpb>> are :

Bpb>> if ( $file ne '/dev/null' )
Bpb>> {
Bpb>>   if ( $dir eq '/your/oracle/dir'
Bpb>> )
Bpb>>   {
Bpb>>     system "echo 'Start
backup oracle at ' >>>> /var/lib/amanda/runtime" ;
    system "date >>>>
Bpb>> /var/lib/amanda/runtime";
Bpb>>     system ( "command
to stop oracle  >>>> /var/lib/amanda/runtime" );
Bpb>>   }
Bpb>> }

Bpb>> If you want to back up another directory,
Bpb>> just add them to your disklist on the index server, this script
Bpb> will perform
Bpb>> no special operation on the server to be backed up for the other
Bpb> directories.
Bpb>> It will just perform the tar like it is supposed to.

Bpb>> Dumptypes are no compile time options,
Bpb>> that are options that are put in your amanda.conf file.

Bpb>> Something like this :

Bpb>> define dumptype client-compress {
Bpb>>         global
Bpb>>     program "GNUTAR"
Bpb>>     compress client best
Bpb>>     priority high
Bpb>>     index yes
Bpb>> }

Bpb>> In your disklist there will be an entry
Bpb>> like this :

Bpb>> oracleserver     /your/oracle/dir
Bpb>>    client-compress

Bpb>> The --with-gnutar=/bin/amandatar is
Bpb>> when you build amanda (which you should do; you cannot use an rpm
Bpb> that
Bpb>> you downloaded somewhere to use this functionalilty).

Bpb>> So : download the sources, untar them
Bpb>>  ( tar -xvzf amanda_version.tgz )
Bpb>> cd to the dir where the source is extracted
Bpb>> configure the source tree, use your
Bpb>> own system policy concerning /usr/local etc :

Bpb>> ./configure \
Bpb>>   --with-user=amanda \
Bpb>>   --prefix=/usr/local \
Bpb>>   --exec-prefix=/usr \
Bpb>>   --bindir=/usr/bin \
Bpb>>   --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
Bpb>>   --libexecdir=/usr/lib/amanda
Bpb>> \
Bpb>>   --with-configdir=/etc/amanda
Bpb>> \
Bpb>>   --with-group=disk \
Bpb>>   --with-gnutar=/bin/amandatar
Bpb>> \
Bpb>>   --with-gnutar-listdir=/var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists
Bpb>> \
Bpb>>   --with-tmpdir=/tmp/amanda \
Bpb>>   --with-smbclient=/usr/bin/smbclient
Bpb>> \
Bpb>>   --mandir=/usr/local/man

Bpb>> build the sources :

Bpb>> make

Bpb>> install the resulting binaries :

Bpb>> make install

Bpb>> Now you can use your home-built Amanda
Bpb>>  :-)

Bpb> wow...
Bpb> from 2 mail's I known more, then from many MAN's pages, FAQ
Bpb> different articles :).
Bpb> thanx a lot! I'm really miss checking the directory name in your
Bpb> script.

Bpb> thank for the explanation at describing of dumptapes. Now I'm really
Bpb> understand how it work :). I think... :)

Bpb> Now, i try setup, configure   test it. Later i'm send my results, if
Bpb> someone interested on it...

bad news :((

my Oracle developers & users don't allow me stop Oracle DB :(.

now, I make hot backup of Oracle DataBase, then backup files write to
the local tape.
It seems, thet i can't stop DB, & use your nicely solution :(.

Another bad news -- this hot backup finished very closed to start of
work day -- i can't run amdump at estimated time, because i have at
least 3 servers, with big size data for backup... I think that i'm
don't have time to finish backup, before our workers start the job...

Finally, new question:
can I create different amanda configuration (example -- daily &
dailyora). At first I backup all my servers, exclude Oracle DB, fn
second -- only Oracle DB.

admump daily -- I'm run at the night,
amdump dailyora -- at the morning, with rsh from Oracle DB server,
after hot backup finished...

and the major -- both backups must white to the same tape.
(I have tape changer HP 1/8 autoloader, Ultrium LTO2 Tape).

If I descibe same amanda.conf, with same labelstr, same tapelist and
different disklist, does the amanda white data from both amdump to the
same tape at one day?

I hope, that I can explain enough my problem...

--
Best regards,
 Jack$on                            mailto:jackson AT ukrcard.com DOT ua