Amanda-Users

Re: How chg-multi selects which tape to backup to.....

2005-02-15 04:52:18
Subject: Re: How chg-multi selects which tape to backup to.....
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:38:27 +0100
Vicki Stanfield wrote:
On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 12:07 -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:

I don't think chg-multi is used by a large number of installations.
I could certainly be wrong there.  But if correct, I would not be
at all surprised that you may be wringing out a few sticky points.
(aka defects, less politely aka bugs).

Good for me then, huh? It really is all I need where I am since this is
a small company. No sense spending the money for an actual changer.

I'm using chg-multi too, with two drives. That makes at least two of us.
My daily backup uses 1 tape usually, and about once a week two tapes
(when the level 0 of some big filesystem is due).  The archive run
in the weekend uses 4 tapes: 2 are written in the weekend, and the
other two are flushed on monday.

We're a small company too, and the idea was that we better have at
least two drives of the same type.  If one breaks, you can at least
go on using the other one.  You can even restore files etc, while
the other one is in repair.  We were at least once in that situation.
And as added benefit, having two drives, makes it easier to diagnose
those problems (if one drive works perfectly, while the other randomly
says EOT, you're 99.9% sure it is the drive, and not somewhere else.)

Having one real changer puts all your eggs in that one (big) basket.
Moreover, the chances of needing to repair a changer, with many more
mechanics, is even larger than a simple tapedrive.
I a previous company (much larger than my current one) we had a broken
changer, and even with a support contract, it took about 4 days to get
the drive replaced.  And just during that period, Murphy asks to restore
some important files.  I learned it the hard way.  Currently, we don't
even have a hardware support contract for the drives -- almost 5 years
now, and the only repair we needed was much cheaper than an anual
contract -- you can be lucky :-)